Vision (that for which we strive- future achievement)
- A cat caring society: “CATalyst Council’s vision is a cat-caring society”
Mission (who we are)
- To promote the health, welfare and value of companion cat: “CATalyst Council connects and collaborates to advance the health, welfare and value of companion cats.”
Values (beliefs for which we stand)
- Cats are wonderful companions and can accommodate many lifestyles.
- Cats have individual personalities and qualities that can be matched with a person’s lifestyle.
- Cats should have environments that are safe and enriched where they are able to express normal cat behavior.
- Cats should be spayed or neutered unless they are used for responsible breeding or showing.
- Animal shelters should be the first source for a family seeking to adopt a cat.
- Every companion cat should see its veterinarian at least once a year for a complete physical examination and preventive care to ensure a lifetime of health and happiness.
- Pet owners should be counseled on proper claw care and that declawing is not necessary in most cases.
- Owners should provide the most nutritionally sound food possible for their cat. Their veterinarian can help owners make nutritional decisions based on the cat’s individual health and lifestyle.
- Every cat should be on parasite prevention and receive vaccinations recommended by its veterinarian to ensure the health of the cat and its caregivers.
- Cat owners should be educated about the value of pet health insurance.
- For optimum safety and health, companion cats are best supervised as indoor-only pets.
- As pets, cats should be microchipped and wear a collar and tag(s) and the information should be kept up to date.
- Owners who lose their cat should report it immediately to a local shelter to increase the likelihood of being reunited.
- Owners should consult their veterinarian if they have problems perceived to be behavioral in nature.
- Cats should not be abandoned outdoors and that doing so adds to the cat population problem.
- CATalyst Council recognizes and commends organizations working together for feral and community cats, as they need to be addressed within local communities.
- All cats should be cared for and valued, providing for their needs as above.
- Together we can debunk myths and negative connotations about cats and improve their well-being and standing in society.
Impact (the difference we will make).Through the continuing efforts of the CATalyst Council:
Download as a PDF
- Cats are valued, appreciated and well cared for as companion animals.
- The benefits of cat ownership and the bond between people and cats are widely understood and celebrated.
- Pet owners ensure their cats receive the medical care they deserve and understand the importance of regular visits to their veterinarian.
- Veterinarians provide a positive experience for cats and cat owners and believe that caring for cats is an essential part of a healthy practice.
- Overpopulation of cats is reduced as more cats are spayed and neutered, adopted, and fewer cats are relinquished or euthanized.
- Shelters and rescue organizations are the primary point of acquisition of companion cats.
- Shelters and veterinarians work as partners to educate adopting families on positive cat care practices, and to support an enriching, lasting relationship with their pets.
- Pet-focused industries provide ready access to a wide range of cat-specific products and services, and realize the benefit of collaboration with other stakeholders and shareholders across other cat health and welfare channels.